Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dark Color Scheme...

After reading a number of articles about color schemes, I decided I just had to try this out.

Normally I am a white background, black text guy. Simple enough, it works everywhere, but apparently, for coding, inverted color schemes are better. I have been adverse to these schemes ever since my first web design efforts went live using massively inverted schemes and...god help me...comic sans fonts. So I've learned to keep it simple and natural.

Fast forward to now, and, after some reading, I'm giving in a trying a custom made natural inverted color scheme in visual studio. Here is a sample of what I'm doing:

image

(I took this using Jing, which rocks!)

A few quick details:

  • The font is FangSong, a mono spaced font of unknown origin. I could not find any information on it online, but I'm sure it came with one of my pieces of software - I did not download it.
  • The font size is 11. FangSong is rather small, and so I needed to make it a bit bigger.
  • The background is a custom created natural earth-tone brown, slightly heavier in red than green, with very low saturation and high luminance.
  • The colors of elements are also mostly custom. The white text is not true white but 232/240.
  • Keywords are a deep cyan color: low luminance and high saturation.
  • User Types are a more aqua style color - turquoise, again low luminance and high saturation.
  • Brackets and other raw-text things are a slightly modified (darkened) yellow.
  • XML comments are drastically different from the rest of the scheme. This is so that, while coding, I can quickly determine what is code and what is comment, without needing to shrink it (though I usually shrink it anyways).
  • I haven't finished the rest, so I will update this scheme as I run into stuff I don't like.

I've uploaded my scheme to my SkyDrive, so you can all try this out and see what you think...I'm not sure what I think yet, as I haven't worked much with it. I take confidence, however, in the fact that Visual Studio can restore its default settings with only a few clicks. As I exclusively use Visual Studio 2008 now, thanks to multi-targeting, this file will not work with 2005 (at least I doubt it will).

Natural Dark Scheme

Let me know what you think!

No comments: