Thursday, July 9, 2009

Geocities is closing

A sad day this is for the internet. The original host-your-own super shitty site, the host of the original hamsterdance, and the butt of oh-so-many jokes - Yahoo's Geocities hosting community, is closing it's doors on October 26th, 2009.

I, like so many others, got my start on Geocities. And while my original website is long gone, I still have content there (don't go looking for it please - it only has a 4 mb/hour bandwidth limit)...which I had forgotten about for nearly ten years.

TEN YEARS! That's a long time when it comes to the internet. How many of you can remember the web ten years ago. It was a totally different ballgame back then, wasn't it?

I remember the days of Yahoo's first portal (which amazingly, wasn't any less stupid than their current one), the excite search engine, pages with embedded wav files, horrible, table based webdesign - that wasn't so much design as 'how many cute clipart pictures can we add to a site'. I remember frontpage 2000, the early versions of dreamweaver....

Look how far we have come!

Geocities was the first, and now it is no more. It is a sad day for the internet, and the end of a historic era.

R.I.P. Geocities
December 15, 1995 - October 26, 2009